Tahun 2012 saya membuat 50 pertanyaan sebagai prediksi saya untuk ujian wawancara JST beasiswa ADS. Kini saya coba lengkapi pertanyaan itu dengan jawaban. Seperti yang selalu saya sampaikan, ini adalah pendapat pribadi dan saya tidak pernah menjamin bahwa dengan menguasai ini seorang kandidat pasti diterima. Meski demikian, saya berkeyakinan bahwa seorang kandidat ADS harus bisa mejawab pertanyaan ini dengan baik untuk menunjukkan kualitasnya. Selamat bersiap-siap. Doa saya menyertai Anda semua.
- What motivate you to study in Australia? (motivasinya apa?)
Answer: There are three things that motivate me to study in Australia. The first is its good education system, especially when it is compared to that of Indonesia’s in general. Secondly, in order for me to develop strong international network for my future career. Third, to enhance mutual understanding between the people of Indonesia and Australia being two closest neighbours in the region. Both Indonesia and Australia, I believe, will maintain its important roles to ensure the stability in the region.
- Why do you choose Australia as opposed to other countries? (kok milih Australia, bukan negara lain?)
Answer: I also have three reasons for this. Firstly, the quality of Australia’s education, in my opinion, is comparable to that of Europe and North America. In 2005 or 2006 for example, an Australian researcher won a Nobel Prize for his research. Secondly, I understand that Australia is a multicultural country, a country of migrants. This will enable me to be exposed in a real international environment which will be beneficial for me to build and strengthen international network. Thirdly, Australia is geographically close to Indonesia. Even though distance nowadays does not matter as much as it did one or two decades ago, it can still be an issue in international collaboration. I am aware that funding is not always an easy thing for us, Indonesian researchers, so distance can matter when it comes to budget for international travel. Travelling to Australia is certainly easier compared to travelling to Europe and North America, for example.
- What have you prepared to make sure you can finish your study in Australia? (sudah melakukan persiapan apa saja untuk bisa lulus kuliah?)
Answer: I have done at least five things to prepare myself. First, I have made extensive research on how Australian education system works, especially for my area of study. I have done this by reading a lot of materials form official websites of Australia universities and relevant government institutions. Secondly, I have read relevant publications in my area of studies, especially those written by prominent scholars including Australian researches. Thirdly, I have read several thesis produced by Australian graduates sho I have good understanding on what Australian universities expect from a Master/PhD student. Fourthly, I have made preliminary contact with relevant parties/institutions in Indonesia, which I think will be able to support me with data and information in relation to my study in Australia in the future. Lastly, I have made good contact with current Indonesian students in Australia through PPIA to learn from those who have been there done that. I believe these five things will help to ensure that I can finish my study in Australia.
- Australia’s education system is different from Indonesia’s. How well do you know this and how have you prepared yourself? (apa yang sudah disiapkan untuk menghadapi sistem pendidikan Australia yang berbeda dengan Indonesia?)
Answer: From what I have read and through discussions with relevant parties such as current Indonesian students in Australia, I understand that Australian education system requires high independency. Students in Australia are much more independent compared to Indonesian students. For this I am willing to work hard and independently and have trained myself to do so through practices. I also understand that pre-departure training that I will participate in before leaving for Australia will benefit me with this preparation. As a PhD candidate, I also understand that there will not be any oral defence for my thesis and it will be judged purely based on my written works. For this I am currently enhancing my writing ability.
- What are you going to study in Australia? (mau kuliah di mana di Australia?)
Answer: I am applying for a faculty of law. My focus is international law of the sea, particularly maritime boundary delimitation. My research is on how Indonesia should establish maritime boundaries with its neighbours.
- How well do you understand your proposed study and how have you gathered information about it? (seberapa mengerti Anda tentang jurusan yang akan Anda ambil dan bagaiaman Anda memperoleh informasinya?)
Answer: I believe that I understand well enough my proposed study. Previously, I have also done research in similar area and have also published several works. For my PhD program, I have learned a lot from program website and guidelines and also from my future supervisor and current students in the same program. I have made good contact with some currents students who have helped me tremendously.
- If you are to study master degree, why do you choose master by coursework or by research? (jika Anda belajar S2, apa alasan Anda memilih master by coursework atau by research?)
Answer for Research: I am a lecturer and researcher. Research will be my main job in the future so master by research is the right choice for me. In addition, I am planning to continue my study into a PhD program in the future so I believe this will pave a good way for me toward a PhD stage.
Answer for Coursework: My job requires me to study various subjects so I have general understanding and master by coursework accommodate this need. The nature of my future job does not need me to have deep understanding on one particular subject only so that master by research might not be appropriate for me.
- How do you think the field of study benefit Indonesia? (apa manfaatnya bidang studi yang anda pilih bagi Indonesia?)
Answer: Indonesia is an archipelagic state with ten neighbours and Indonesia has yet to finalise its maritime boundary with those neighbours. We know that pending maritime boundaries have been evident to cause problems between Indonesia and its neighbours. There are several incidents in border area such as fishermen seizure, border crossing and illegal fishing. Maritime boundary delimitation will help Indonesia decrease that kind of tension and this research will benefit Indonesia on how to settle maritime boundaries with its neighbours.
- How important is the study for Australia? (seberapa penting bidang studi itu bagi Australia?)
Answer: Australia is one of Indonesia’s neighbours with which Indonesia needs to settle and maintain maritime boundaries. This study will help contribute to the process, how Indonesia and Australia will manage their maritime boundaries. Incidents such as fisherman seizure, border crossing for fishing activities, and even people smuggling are closely related to border management. This research will help people to understand better border issues, which eventually will benefit both Indonesia and Australia in maintaining their borders.
- How are you going to implement what you study in Australia when you return to Indonesia? (bagaimana menerapkan hasil studi Anda nanti ketika sudah pulang ke Indonesia?)
Answer: I am a lecturer/researcher. By law, I do not have direct access to policy maker. However, there is always channel through which I can bring my knowledge so it can be utilised in policy making. University-Government Research collaboration is one of them. Through this kind of collaboration I will be able to implement what I have studied in Australia to solve real problem that Indonesia is facing. In addition, knowledge dissemination is my main duty when I return to Indonesia. I will do much more research and disseminate the knowledge through teaching and publication.
- How confident are you about your chance to finish the study on time? (yakin bisa menyelesaikan studi tepat waktu?)
Answer: Considering all the preparation I have made and will do, I am highly confident that I can finish my study on time. I have good understanding on Australian education system, I have also experienced Australian education system when I did my master, and I have prepared a thorough proposal for my PhD with consultation with my future supervisor. These all will help me finish my study on time.
- Are you going to do a research? How are you going to do it? (apakah akan melakukan penelitian? bagaimana cara/prosesnya?)
Answer: lihat tulisan Tips presentasi proposal untuk wawancara ADS di madeandi.com
- Is there any fieldwork involved in your study/research? If so, how are you going to do it? (adakah kerja lapangan terkait studi/penelitian Anda nanti? Bagaimana pelaksanaanya?)
Answer: lihat tulisan Tips presentasi proposal untuk wawancara ADS di madeandi.com
- What new things your research will contribute to the development of your area of study? (hal baru apa yang akan Anda kontribusikan melalui riset ini kepada perkembangan bidang ilmu ini?)
Answer: lihat tulisan Tips presentasi proposal untuk wawancara ADS di madeandi.com
- What motivate you to conduct research in this area, how it relates to Indonesia’s current problems and Australia’s priority development area? (apa motivasi Anda memilih bidang penelitian ini dan bagaimana kaitannya dengan permasalahan Indonesia serta prioritas pembangunan Australia/AusAID?)
Answer: lihat tulisan Tips presentasi proposal untuk wawancara ADS di madeandi.com
- Are you aware of potential culture shock that you might experience? How have you prepared yourself? (bagaimana menghadapi kemungkinan gegar budaya?)
Answer: Yes I am aware. Australia is certainly a different place compared to Indonesia. I have read stories about Australian culture, met Australian people and talked to them, and I have read news and books about Australia. I understand that Australia has different culture and different way of life. There will be different standard of politeness, for example, different sense of humour, etc. And there will be possibilities ant I can experience culture shock. However, I am prepared for that. My main strategy is to be open and not narrow minded so I can adapt properly.
- Apart from academic matters, how do you think studying in Australia benefit you? (selain dalam hal akademik, apa keuntungan belajar di Australia?)
Answer: I will be able to build network with international friends, something that I will not be able to do if I study in Indonesia. I will also understand better differences between Indonesia and Australia so I can contribute better in maintaining relationship between two countries in the future.
- How are you going to interact with Australian people, considering that you have different cultural background? (bagaimana caranya berinteraksi dengan orang Australia mengingat kebudayaan yang berbeda?)
Answer: the very first thing is that I will be open. I will not start my journey with pre-judgement but with open mind. I will not use my own standard/value/parameter to judge how Australians behave. My view is that in order to be accepted, I have to accept others. I am not looking for friends but trying to be one.
- Do you think Indonesia is ready to support you developing your expertise upon completion of your study? (apakah Indonesia siap mendukung Anda mengembangkan keahlian Anda setelah kembali ke Indonesia nanti?)|
Answer: I am sure there will be difficulties along the way. I will face issues regarding funding and facilities for research for example. However, this field of study is really important for Indonesia as an archipelagic state so I am sure government will pay more attention. In addition, the purpose of studying overseas is to gain knowledge to solve problems in Indonesia, not to return and ask for facilities and luxuries to develop expertise. Should I find difficulties and weakness upon my return, I think it is also my responsibility to find way out. We should be a problem solver not a complainer.
- If Indonesia is not ready to support you when you return due to lack of facilities and funding for instances, what is your plan? (kalau ternyata Indonesia tidak siap mendukung Anda setelah pulang nanti karena masalah fasilitas dan dana, apa rencana Anda?)
Answer: I will find a way to obtain funding and facilities for my research and expertise development. One of the ways is international collaboration. That is why network building during my study is really important. How can I do this? I will intensify interaction with as many parties as possible during my study so then I will have a lot of relevant contacts by the time I finish my study. I am sure I will be able to utilise the network optimally to support my research when I am in Indonesia.
- How do you think you can make real impacts to Indonesian and your society when you return to Indonesia? (bagaimana Anda akan membawa dampak nyata/langsung pada masyarakat ketika sudah selesai sekolah nanti?)
Answer: In my field of study, the real impact that I can make, I think, is in relation to enhancing understanding and knowledge of the Indonesian people regarding maritime boundary issues. As far as I am concerned, there is lack of understanding on the issue so that people tend to react aggressively where there is issue regarding border incident for example. To help people understand better, I will focus on information and knowledge dissemination through publication. In addition to publish academic works, I will also publish popular media such as newspaper and magazine articles, blog posting, and educational videos.
- Do you think your area of study can benefit people in Indonesia or it is exclusive to corporation or government institutions? If it is not directly for the people how are you going to make sure that they are also benefited at some stages? (apakah keahlian Anda nanti bermanfaat bagi orang kebanyakan atau bersifat eksklusif bagi institusi pemerintah atau korporasi? Jika tidak berdampak langsung bagi masyarakat, bagaimana Anda menjamin agar masyarakat juga mendapat manfaat?)
Answer: lihat jawaban no 21
- Many people think that good education is to prepare one to compete in international arena. With better education and skills they can work anywhere in the world and they do not have to return to their country after study. What do you think about that? (banyak orang meyakini bahwa pendidikan yang baik membuat mereka bisa bersaing di dunia internasional sehingga banyak yang tidak pulang ke negaranya setelah lulus. Bagaimana Anda melihat ini?)
Answer: To an extent, I agree with that. When we are educated in a good international institution, we ideally gain knowledge and skill that is marketable in the international market. It means we can work anywhere on earth. However, the option to return to our own country is another story. I agree that we have to make sure that we gain skill and knowledge that can be a global license for us to work anywhere. It means that we can work anywhere we want. However, if we decide to return to our country, it is purely a conscious choice.
- In a globalised world like this, contribution can be made from anywhere and you do not have to be in Indonesia to contribute for Indonesia. How do you see this opinion? (dalam dunia yang semakin sempit seperti sekarang, kontribusi bisa diberikan dari mana saja dan Anda tidak harus berada di Indonesia untuk bisa berkontribusi bagi Indonesia. Bagaimana pendapat Anda?)
Answer: I partly agree with this. However, there are things that we cannot do from overseas if we want to contribute optimally for the development of Indonesia. In addition, we know that not all of Indonesians have access to ICT. In order for someone to make real impact to society, he or she has to be in Indonesia. In the case of my field of study, I believe it will be better for me to be in Indonesia to contribute optimally.
- Are you aware that the world is rapidly changing? What aspects do you see change in relation to what you will study in Australia and how are you going to contribute? (apakah Anda melihat perubahan besar yang terjadi di dunia saat ini? Apa saja hal yang terkait dengan apa yang Anda pelajari saat ini dan bagaimana Anda bisa berkontribusi?)
Answer: Yes I am aware of that. In relation to border issue, I understand we now live in a borderless world. Movement of people and goods are a lot easier now. Therefore the roles of borders are no longer as same as what we saw one or two decades ago. So borders are not to exclude ourselves from others but to clearly define extent of rights and responsibility. So the trend for border issue is not how to settle border but how to manage it for common prosperity. I am willing to contribute in the promotion of border management and collaboration between neighbouring countries through research and publications.
- Leadership is one of the keys to good order in the society. What leadership role have you played in the past and how are you going to maintain/enhance it in the future upon completion of your study? (kepemimpinan adalah salah satu kunci tatanan masyarakat yang baik. Aspek kepemimpinan apa yang sudah Anda perankan di masa lalu dan bagaimana Anda mempertahankan atau meningkatkan itu setelah meyelesaikan studi di Australia?)
Answer: I believe I have played quite a good leadership role since I was young. I was the chief of student organisation (OSIS) when I was in Junior and Senior high school. I was also the chief of Hindu Students Association in UGM when I did my undergraduate. In a non formal environment I have also taken a role of initiator to organise activities. When I was in elementary school, I managed to convince my class mates to establish a business to sell food in our school. With only 100 rupiah contributed by each student at the beginning of the business, each then received 1100 rupiah at the end of the term, which was only for 6 months. It was not about the money but about the leadership and initiative, which I am quite proud of. Upon completion of my study, my leadership role will focus on education. I will give my students good influence and motivation to achieve high by setting example not by preaching. In addition, leadership is not always about a formal position as a leader in an organisation. It can be to be someone that inspire and lead a way toward a better stage in life. By publishing works that enlighten people, I believe I play a leadership role already.
- Do you think what you will learn in Australia can help you with your career? How? (apakah studi Anda di Australia akan bermanfaat untuk karir Anda? Bagaimana dan dalam hal apa?)
Answer: Yes, absolutely. As a researcher and lecturer, better knowledge and skill are essential for my job and career. Formal Master/PhD degree will directly contribute to the promotion in my career as a lecturer. In term of long term career plan, better knowledge and skill and good international network will open opportunities for me in the future.
- One of the most important things to enhance in Indonesia and also the world is entrepreneurship. How can you do this in your area of study and how your study in Australia will help you with this? (salah satu yang perlu digalakkan di Indonesia dan dunia adalah kemampuan wirausaha. Bagaimana Anda bisa melakukan ini di bidang ilmu Anda dan bagaimana pendidikan di Australia akan membantu Anda mewujudkan itu?)
Answer: The key of entrepreneurship is creativity and hard work. I believe I will learn these two things when I am studying in Australia. Education system that requires independence of students will also encourage creativity and hard work. I believe this can be a good foundation for me to promote entrepreneurship. In a more practical perspective, I believe I can disseminate information regarding ocean affairs and the law of the sea, particularly, maritime boundary issues using entrepreneur approach. I can produce TV programs that I can sell to TV stations, digital application that I can sell online with affordable price. I can also design training for commercial companies such as oil and gas corporations.
- One of the benefits of studying overseas is good international network. How are you going to establish it and how to utilise it for your career and for Indonesia? (salah satu keuntungan belajar di LN adalah terbentuknya jejaring internasional. Bagaimana Anda membentuk dan memanfaatkan jejaring itu?)
Answer: I will have opportunities to interact with AusAID students from different countries. This will be a good start for me to build international network. Secondly, I will be active in participating in seminars, workshops and conferences where I can meet international experts to network with. When I am in Indonesia, I can use this network to do collaborative research, for example. I will be able to publish jointly with other experts from other countries and this will certainly help me with my career.
- Indonesia has had a lot of experts in your area, right? How do you see you will be able to make a difference? (ada banyak ahli di bidang Anda di Indonesia. Bagaimana Anda akan membuat suatu perubahan atau perbedaan ke arah kemajuan?)
Answer: as far as I am concerned, there are experts in legal aspects and technical aspects. However, I do not see many (if any) experts who manage to combine those two aspects synergistically. I believe this is the gap that I can fill in the future.
- What is your plan regarding information dissemination (knowledge sharing) upon completion of your study? (apa rencana Anda dalam membagikan informasi/pengetahuan Anda setelah lulus nanti?)
Answer: first, I will keep writing journal articles and text books. Secondly, I will also publish in popular media such as newspaper, magazines, and online publications. Thirdly, I will produce educational videos and try to bring this expertise to audio visual media such as television.
- What have you done so far to demonstrate your care to your field of study? (apa yang telah Anda lakukan selama ini sebagai pertanda Anda memiliki kepedulian terhadap bidang studi Anda?)
Answer: I have published more than 100 works including books, journal articles, newspaper articles, conferences, and workshops. I have always be happy to give a stadium general or public lecture on maritime boundary issues in different universities in Indonesia.
- Australia has different seasons. How are you going to cope with cold winter, for example? (Australia punya musim yang berbeda dengan Indonesia. Sudah siap dengan musim dingin yang menggigil, misalnya?)
Answer: if possible, I will commence my study in autumn season so I will enter Australia in January, which is summer. By doing this I will have several months to adapt before winter starts in June. Other than that I will be very cautious by preparing myself with proper clothing and be always alert by paying attention to weather forecast, something that we do not really care about in Indonesia. Paying more attention to drinking and eating habit, I believe will help me take care of my health.
- What have you done to gather information that will support your study in Australia? (apa yang telah Anda lakukan untuk mendukung studi Anda di Australia?)
Answer: I have done at least five things. First, I have extensively done researched on Australian education system through websites of Australian universities and relevant government institutions. Second, I have read a number of journal articles in my area, including those written by Australian scholars. Third, I have contacted Australian alumni and current Indonesian students in Australia to seek for advice on how to finish my study on time. Third, I have learned Australian culture and read news about Australia through online media for me no to experience too much culture shock. Fifth, I have made preliminary contact with relevant parties in Indonesia such as government institutions, research centre and universities that will help me during my study in Australia.
- How do you think Indonesia-Australia relationship at the moment? (menurut Anda, bagaimana hubungan antara Indonesia dan Australia saat ini?)
Answer: Indonesia and Australia are in the best stage of their relationship. They need each other and will support each along the way. For Australia, Indonesia is a big market for their meat and dairy product and Australia requires farming product from Indonesia. The two countries also have good collaboration in terms of fisheries management, people smuggling, education etc.
- Is there anything in Indonesia or Australia that become your concern in relation to your proposed study? (adakah hal khusus terkait Indonesia atau Australia yang menjadi perhatian Anda terkait studi yang Anda usulkan?)
Answer: In Indonesia, there is a need for fishermen to fish in Australian waters as part of traditional fishing rights. This can become a problem in relation to maritime boundary management. On the other hand, this also can serve as a good case study for me to understand the maritime boundary issue better. In Australia, people mostly do not have comprehensive understanding on Indonesian culture and people’s behaviour. This becomes an issue when we talk about border management.
- How do you think Indonesia and Australia can maintain or enhance their bilateral collaboration? (bagaimana Indonesia-Australia dapat memelihara atau meningkatkan kerjasamanya?)
Answer: by promoting education and exchange of students and youth. Indonesia needs to provide more scholarship for young Australians to study in Indonesia. In addition, both countries need to promote exchange of views among young people. Encouraging media to produce balanced and non-provocative news is also a key to good relationship between Indonesia and Australia.
- Are you going to bring your family to Australia? if so/not, what motivate you? (apakah Anda akan membawa keluarga ke Australia? apa motivasinya?)
Answer: Yes I will. Firstly, I believe that I will be able to concentrate better when my family members are around. Secondly, this will also benefit my wife and child by experiencing life and education in Australia. Third, economically, maintaining one household, in my opinion, is much more efficient and even economical, compared to having two households to take care.
- Family can either support of disturb your study. How do you see this? (kehadiran keluarga bisa mendukung atau mengganggu studi Anda. Menurut Anda bagaimana?)
Answer: It is all about management and agreement with your family. I see it as an advantage and family can provide supports for me. I have to agree at the beginning what we can expect and what we cannot expect from studying overseas. With good communication I believe family will be a good support for me.
- What is the benefit of bringing family to Australia and how are you going to achieve that? (apa keuntungan membawa keluarga saat studi di Australia dan bagaimana anda meraih keuntungan itu?)
Answer: lihat jawaban soal nomor 38
- Bringing family to Australia is not easy. How ready are you with all the preparation? (membawa keluarga ke Australia bukan perkara mudah. Bagaimana Anda menyiapkan segala sesuatunya?)
Answer: I am ready. We all have learned Australian culture through internet, relevant government website, books and stories from ADS alumni that I know. I have also understood the schooling system, visa requirement and potential living cost that I have to prepare. My wife has a good conduct of English and my daughter started to learn English to survive in Astralia. With all those knowledge and preparation I am sure I am ready to live with my family in Australia.
- Do you think you can contribute to Australia also in relation to your study? (selain mendapat manfaat, apakah Anda bisa berkontribusi juga bagi Australia sehubungan dengan studi Anda?)
Answer: Yes I do think that I can contribute. As I mentioned previously, my research will not purely only about Indonesia. It is about Indonesia and its neighbours. Australia is one of the most important neighbours for Indonesia when it comes to maritime boundaries. I am sure this research will also help Australia to understand the situation better, especially how Indonesia views the issues of maritime boundaries with Australia.
- Are you aware that there are misunderstandings between Indonesia and Australia sometimes? How do you think you can play a role in eradicating the misunderstandings? (apakah anda paham, kadang terjadi salah paham antara Indonesia dan Australia? Bagaimana Anda bisa berperan dalam mengurangi kesalahpahamann itu?
Answer: Yes I am aware. Many Indonesians view that Australia is an exclusive and even racist society. They do not understand how multi-cultural Australia is and how open it is for people from different nations with various ethnic backgrounds. Australia is basically a country of migrants. I believe that I can share this knowledge and promote better understanding on Australia among the Indonesian people. On the other hand, many Australians also view Indonesia as an Islamic country with a lot of religious extremists. Imbalanced news coverage seems to be the reason of this misunderstanding. Together with my friends in the Indonesian students association, for example, I believe I can help represent Indonesia better so there will change of view among Australian toward our country.
- What do you think is the main problems Indonesia is facing currently and how will your study help Indonesia address the problems? (apakah masalah utama Indonesia saat ini dan bagaimana studi Anda akan membantu menyelesaikannya?)
Answer: Poor education in my opinion is the source of a lot of problems. In relation to my study, education in border areas is even worse. Through this research I hope I can understand better the education and other social problems facing the society in border areas so I can help address the issue.
- Please describe your potential role in your society and your workplace upon returning to Indonesia and how your study will help you? (apa peran/potensi peran Anda di masyarakat dan tempat kerja dan bagaimana studi ini akan membantu Anda mencapai/menjalankan peran itu?)
Answer: In the society, my role will be to disseminate information regarding technical/geospatial aspects of ocean affairs and the law of the sea, especially those related to maritime boundary issues based on research that I will do in my work place. This dissemination can be through book and journal article publications, newspaper articles, and audio visual media like television programs. In my work place I will conduct more research and publish academically, in addition to teaching and conducting research supervision for my students. Organising international seminar/workshop will also be part of my agenda for effective research result dissemination and to encourage international collaboration between my institution and other institutions from other countries.
- If you are selected, you will be in a group of very special Indonesians. How are you going to use your privilege for the good of other not-very-lucky Indonesians? (jika terpilih, Anda akan termasuk dalam kelompok orang Indonesia yang istimewa dan beruntung. Bagaimana Anda akan menggunakan kesempatan dan keistimwaan ini demi kebaikan orang-orang Indonesia lainnya yang tidak seberuntung Anda?)
Answer: First, I can spare some of my money from the allowance to help the needy. Second, I am willing to share my knowledge to those who need but with limited financial resources for free.
- When you are in Australia, how are you going to balance academic life and other activities? (saat berada di Australia, bagaimana Anda menyeimbangkan kehidupan akademik dan aktivitas lainnya?)
Answer: It is very important to have my life balanced. I will participate actively in the activities of the Indonesian Students Association (PPIA) and other international student activities. I will also take some times to discover Australia beyond the place where I study to enhance my knowledge about Australia. If possible, I am also willing to work as long as it does not disturb my study as the main objective of me being in Australia. The work is not only about money but to complete the story. I believe I will learn much from this kind of activities in addition to my formal study.
- While in Australia, how important do you think for you to be involved in activities other than study? (selama berada di Australia, seberapa penting bagi Anda untuk mengikuti kegiatan di luar akademik?)
Answer: I think it will be very important, as long as it is not doing any harm to my study. Extracurricular activities will help me understand things more comprehensively and also enable me to interact with more people which I believe will be beneficial for my future career.
- What problems do you think you will face in Australia and how are you preparing yourself for that? (kendala apa yang kira-kira akan Anda hadapi dan bagaimana Anda menyiapkan semua itu?)
Anwer: lihat beberapa jawaban dari pertanyaan di atas. Kesulitan bisa terkait akademik, kehidupan sosial, dan perihal cuaca.
- Is there anything that you want to ask, add or comment? (apakah ada yang ingin Anda tanyakan, tambahkan atau komentari?)
Jika punya, siapkan pertanyaan dengan baik dan jangan lupa berterima kasih di sini.
- Catatan: Kesalahan ketik yang ada pada tulisan ini sepenuhnya tanggung jawab I Made Andi Arsana. Mohon perkenannya mengoreksi jika menemukan kesalahan.
Saya tahu, ada beberapa teman kandidat yang mendapat pertanyaan yang sama sekali tidak dibayangkan dan jauh dari hal-hal rumit seperti yang tertutulis di atas. Misalnya ada yang ditanyai hanya seputar hobi dan keluarga dan sama sekali tidak ada yang menyeramkan seputar riset dan kesiapan sekolah. Yang seperti ini juga ada yang akhirnya dapat beasiswa ADS. Jika diminta berpendapat, saya duga bahwa yang ingin dicari oleh tim penyeleksi adalah mereka yang mampu mengemukakan pendapat dengan baik, runut dan mudah dipahami. Kemampuan menjelaskan ketidaktahuanpun adalah termasuk keterampilan. Mereka yang bisa menjelaskan ketidaktahuannya dengan baik juga layak lolos wawancara karena orang yang mampu menjelaskan ketidaktahuannya adalah mereka yang tahu cara mencari tahu dan menjadi tahu. Jadi, Anda tidak harus menjadi seorang yang super hebat dan serba tahu untuk lolos beasiswa ADS. Yang terpenting adalah mampu berkomunikasi dengan baik, termasuk menjawab pertanyaan tak terduga seperti soal hobi dan keluarga.
Saya yakin, Anda tidak akan menjadikan tulisan ini sebagai pedoman. Tulisan ini sekedar pembanding apa yang sudah Anda siapkan dan yakini. Jika ada yang berkenan gunakanlah dengan baik. Jika ada yang tidak maka jangan biarkan dia mengganggu keyakinan Anda. Setelah mengusahakan dengan baik, mari memeluk usaha itu dengan doa yang tulus dan khidmat. Selamat berjuang kawan!
PS. Tulisan in saya sediakan dalam format PDF sehingga bisa diunduh dan dipelajari offline.
PSS. Baca juga